Monday, June 22, 2009

NEW YORK CITY



I think I am in love. June 17th marked the beginning of a magical relationship. My new beau is fun, exciting, fascinating, always on the go, and absolutely FANTASTIC. We make the perfect couple...New York City how I love thee. Today is day 5 of my adventure and heres a brief recap of my first week in NYC! Thursday was pouring of rain but I was not going to let that stop me from venturing out into the big apple. Jo (intern from London) and I squeezed under my tiny black umbrella and with perplexed faces tried to figure out the subway system (still working on that)....We decided on Soho aka shopping shopping shopping. By the time we reached Canal St. station the rain was pouring and with the wind blowing my little umbrella was getting a full fledged NYC beatdown. As brave soldiers we marched on...Jo was very dissapointed that TopShops prices were far higher than in London while I fell in love with a necklace at Aldo. We ate at what I can only describe as food heaven with stations serving pasta, pizza, sushi, chinese, salads, and sandwiches. After getting lost a few times, stopping at a few more stores we went back home for some good and sooo unhealthy friend chicken, mac and cheese, rice and peas, and curry chicken. Full belly and feet aching I was off to bed.

Day 2 was better weather wise and this time Jo and I decided to map out our destinations and how to get there prior to leaving the house. We started by finding out where Vibe is located and found that its right in the heart of Wall st. Glad we did it then otherwise I would've had a hard time finding where to go to do for my first day in the office. After we went to the village and watched The Proposal- funny funny and overlypriced at 12.50 :-(. Then it was off to the meatpacking district. We both fell in love with this area and the cute restaurants/lounges. On the hunt for cheesecake we stopped at 10 restaurants before finally finding a menu with cheesecake. However for $7 a slice it was a dissapointment to say the least...Afterwards we decided to check out a Spoken Word show midtown that was inspirational and funny and entirely too long. We snuck out around midnight and went home to bed.



Day 3 was good although it rained again...I visited with Shelley and her mom who were intown for a photoshoot with Vibe (coincidence) saw the MET Museum and Central Park (want to have a picnic there before I leave)...then met up with BJ Keys (intern from Florida) and Jo on my new home away from home....34th st. SHOPS GALORE!!!!



Day 4 was a relaxing day spent at the house...doing hair (an all day process), buying grocerries, and eating some amazing bbq from the lady who cooks it on the sidewalk (gotta love Harlem).
And now today...My first day at Vibe and I like it a lot. A little slow-hence the fact that I'm writing a blog entry and not working- but the people are cool and the atmosphere is relaxed.


Thats all for now....TTYL

1 comment:

  1. my goodness that's a lot of shopping. I knew you'd love NYC. I still sense there's more for you there...
    I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets lost in a big city.

    Spoken word? fantastic. But you're going to comment on how expensive cheesecake is and say nothing of the price of an Aldo necklace? ;)

    ReplyDelete